Saturday, December 2, 2017

5 Thought-Provoking Short Films

I was watching in YouTube yesterday, going through music videos to trailers to vlogs and to travel videos, until I arrived to the short films. Eventually, I moved to Vimeo because they had more quality shorts which were easy to find (staff picks!! though make sure to visit the recent ones too because some are hidden gems.)

I've picked out five films I really enjoyed the most and that also got me thinking about life, I really recommend watching them! I've added a few descriptions and thoughts because I don't want to give away what happens in the story. I watched these without knowing what was going to happen and I think that's the best way to do so.

So in no particular order (you may click the title to be directed to the short film on Vimeo): 



Eggplant by Yangzhi She 
A very beautiful animated short film. It tells a story about a boy who was born with facial expressions that deliver the opposite of what he's truly feeling. This made me tear up because I could feel what he felt about what others thought of him, how what he does isn't the "norm" to society. Through this, I realized how being different is what makes each of us beautiful.




Trial by The Brothers Lynch
The transitions in this short are gold!! (Especially the mirror scene, really amazed how it transitioned at that part.) It shows the story of a paralyzed soldier who was offered an opportunity to transfer his mind to a new body.




Lifeline by Sam Jones
One of my all time favorites, Lifeline! I've previously written about this a few months ago which can be read here, but I'm mentioning it again because it's something really worth it to watch! This film portrays how a desperate mother will do anything for her son and how she puts her morality to a test. MUST WATCH.




Dissonance by Till Nowak
I really like how this film was a combination of live action and animation, a really stunning work of art! This is about a talented musician and how his world blurs between his imagination and reality.




Happiness by Steve Cutts 
So sad and yet absolutely true! If you have five minutes to spare, this is something I'd recommend you to watch, it is a film that shows what the world is turning into nowadays. At the end you'd ask, what does happiness really mean?





Have you watched any of these short films? What did you think of them?

What are your favorite films?
© solivagantic. Design by FCD.